The NB48 has been carving out its place as the top 1/8th scale nitro buggy for many years now. Through its history, Tekno have continually improved on every aspect of performance and durability. The progression from the NB48 to the NB48.3 evolved through many significant changes, industry firsts, and also hundreds of fine adjustments. With the introduction of the NB48.4, Tekno have once again raised the bar and improved on nearly every aspect of the buggy. This time it took the form of many fine adjustments, but the leap in performance is our most significant yet.
NB48.4 New Features
- New CNC 7075 Chassis with Improved Wear Characteristics
- Revised Steering Geometry and Ackerman Plate
- Bearing Supported Spindle/Carrier Design
- Revised Wide Rear Pivot Suspension Geometry
- Revised Ultra Efficient Drivetrain with New Universal Driveshafts
- Revised Internal Gear Ratio for Improved Efficiency
- CNC 4×1.9 Flat/Flat Delrin Pistons and CNC Delrin Guides
- New Rear Bulkhead Brace System
- New CNC 7075 Aluminum Bleeder Shock Caps (emulsion, vented, non-vented)
- New LF (low frequency) Shock Springs
- New Fighter Jet Inspired Body Design
These changes feed into one desire to manufacture the best handling, most consistent, most durable, and highest value kit on the market. Tekno are confident that customers will agree that they have delivered on these goals.
Tekno have never offered a more predictable yet aggressive steering system to the 1/8th market. Steering response and durability has been improved with new bearing supported spindles (TKR8041) and spindle carriers (TKR8194A). By reducing the wheel offset, we further improved the geometry, allowing the buggy to get in and out of corners more consistently in all conditions.
New front arms (TKR8286) now employ the same double-nutted outer hinge pin (TKR8034) design as the rear arms, ensuring nothing comes loose during a race, as well as fewer parts in the toolbox. In the front, shock absorber placement remains the same as the NB48.3. So expect the same great jump landing and bump handling characteristics.
The new Ackermann plate (TKR8100) and steering bell cranks (TKR8104) smooth steering response, providing better stability out of corners without sacrificing on-power steering.
Finishing off the front end are new A and B blocks (TKR8161, TKR8162) that have a more user-friendly 2.5mm hex cap head screw (TKR1533) to access the diffs.
New rear arms (TKR8184) and hubs (TKR8040A) have been designed to accommodate wide rear pivot (TKR8163, TKR8164) hinge pin blocks, producing increased corner speed and improved forward drive out of corners while reducing weight transfer. As we did with the front end, more user-friendly 2.5mm hex cap head screws have been included for easy diff access. By utilizing a new hub design, the arm length remains the same, keeping the same great jump landing and bump handling.
(Click image to view comparison of wide vs. narrow pivot. Image shown is from the EB48.4)
The NB48.4 now utilizes front and rear universal driveshafts (TKR8087). Through rigorous testing, we have found universals provide the most consistent performance due to their improved bump handling which allows the suspension components to move more freely and efficiently.
Internal gear ratio (ring and pinion) has been modified to 3.25:1 (TKR8151B, TKR8152B), extending run time while providing improved power transmission from the center diff to the front and rear diffs. The new gears are also quieter and more efficient than ever before.
The NB48.4 features an all CNC shock package, from the shock bodies to the internal guides (TKR6146B). 4×1.9 flat/flat pistons (TKR6165) further refine the damping package and are suited for just about any track condition. The highly regarded LF (low frequency) springs (TKR8763, TKR8773) are now included as stock equipment as well.
Topping off the updated shock system are new CNC 7075 aluminum bleeder caps (TKR8702) that allow you to build your shocks any way you prefer. The standard shock build is now an emulsion setup, but the new caps can be used to build vented and traditional non-vented shocks just as well (optional bladders required). The new caps mount to revised shock standoffs (TKR8027) that provide better clearance between the cap and shock tower.
The original NB48 body was a departure from the typical wide nitro bodies. With this release, we have further improved on our design to offer a body providing more internal clearance, higher durability, and improved aesthetics.
Aggressive fighter jet inspired styling produces ample steering with sleek lines followed by three fins to help with high-speed stability and small spoilers on the sides to increase downforce. Also featured are never-before-seen changes to improve refueling access. A molded recess has been specifically designed to improve tank pull and fuel gun access while reducing internal fuel splash on critical components such as the brakes, engine and electronics.
- Proven design
- New 4mm CNC 7075 aluminum hard anodized lightened chassis with improved wear characteristics.
- Class leading front and rear clearance (short chassis overhang) provides better bump handling and jump landing.
- Integrated battery, servo and electronics tray/mud guard is sunken into chassis for a super low COG, Lightness, and Durability.
- Adjustable, LCG lightweight wing mount.
- Spacious, enclosed, easy access radio box with integrated transponder mount.
- Adjustable chassis brace system for fine tuning flex with front, center, and rear braces.
- Revised rear bulkhead brace with improved bulkhead support.
Differentials and Drivetrain
- Three fluid-filled adjustable super lightweight diffs.
- Less rotating mass = better acceleration.
- Lightened outdrives, and diff couplers used throughout.
- New 12/39 ring and pinion gears for improved efficiency.
- Angled rear gearbox with large bearings.
- New universal driveshafts with narrow stub axle and revised bearing placement.
- Centered rear bulkhead input matching dogbone angle front to back.
- Optional under/overdrive available (TKR8151 and TKR8152).
- Optional center universal driveshafts available (TKR5295 and TKR5296).
- Super smooth 16mm big bore shocks.
- 6mm front, 5mm rear CNC 7075 aluminum gun metal anodized shock towers are standard.
- New flat/flat piston design and configuration (4 x 1.9mm).
- Fully adjustable long travel suspension geometry maximizes stability and traction while providing superior cornering and on-power steering.
- CNC threaded shock bodies, caps, cartridge caps, and adjustment nuts.
- New CNC 7075 emulsion/vented/standard shock caps.
- 4mm hardened and polished steel shafts.
- New tall clamping spring perches with captured shock boots.
- New CNC delrin internal triple guide design for true and consistent shaft action.
- Optional springs and sway bars are available.
Suspension and Steering
- Adjustable front arm sweep and angle to make the car more aggressive (swept forward), or easier to drive (swept back).
- New captured outer front and rear hinge pins.
- ‘Narrow pivot’ steering posts provide ‘0 bump’ geometry with almost ‘0 steering slop’.
- Adjustable CNC 7075 hinge pin braces.
- New bearing supported spindle/carrier with updated geometry and enhanced durability.
- Long rear sway bar for improved consistency.
- New ‘Wide Pivot’ C and D hinge pin braces.
- 4mm inner, 3.5mm outer hinge pins, polished for smooth action.
- New narrow high roll center rear hubs.
- Adjustable Ackermann and bump-steer (bump in, zero bump, bump out).
- New aluminum Ackermann plate rides on four precision bearings.
- New steering bell cranks with optional solid right bell crank (no servo saver) for increased steering response.
- Adjustable steering stops for precise steering travel settings.
Brakes and Clutch
- Semi metalic brake pads for improved consistency and wear.
- CNC machined, precision ground hardened steel brake disks.
- Independently and quickly adjust the front to rear brake bias.
- CNC machined clutch flywheel with four CNC 7075 aluminum shoes.
- Three clutch spring strengths included for precise engine speed engagement adjustment.
- CNC machined 13 tooth clutch bell utilizing industry standard bearing sizes.
Engine Mount and Fuel Tank
- Engine forward design increases handling response and improves weight distribution.
- Adjustable engine mounts accommodate a broad range of clutch bell and spur gear sizes.
- Impact resistant fuel tank with rubber mounts to reduce vibration and absorb hard landings.
- Integrated fuel filter/clunk with an external nipple (IFMAR Legal).
- Fuel overfill drain tube and integrated tank lip to minimize fuel spillage.
- Double sealed tank lid to eliminate fuel or air leakage for a consistent engine tune.
- New high downforce wing with hole guides included.
- Easily adjust anti-squat, rear toe, front arm angle, front arm sweep, roll center, toe, camber, wheelbase, Ackerman, bump steer, suspension geometry out of the box.
- Full set of option parts available.
- Extremely easy to work on with minimal screw count.
- All metric hex hardware.
- Length: 435mm (without wing)
- Wheelbase: 323-335mm
- Width: 306-310*mm (*optional hubs required)
- Dry Weight: 3260g* (7.17lb) (*your weight may vary depending on equipment used)
- Diff Ratio: F/R – 12/39t, Center – 48t
- Clutch: 4-shoe adjustable with 7075 aluminum shoes
- Clutch Bell: 13t w/ 5x13x4mm inner, 5x10x4mm outer bearing
- Brakes: Steel discs with semi-metallic pads, side mounted
- Receiver Battery Box Dimensions 58.5mm x 36mm x 34.5mm (L x W x H)
- Fuel Tank: 125cc, clunk
- Kit/RTR: Kit
Needed to complete
- 2/3 channel radio/transmitter
- High torque steering and brake servo (at least 300 oz/in)
- RX battery 58.5mm x 36mm x 34.5mm (L x W x H)
- Switch harness
- .21 nitro engine, tuned pipe, manifold, and glow plug
- Fuel bottle, fuel, 1/8th buggy starter box, and glow ignitor
- 1/8th scale buggy tires, wheels & CA glue
- Paint for body
- Hex drivers 1.5mm (TKR1104), 2.0mm (TKR1105), 2.5mm (TKR1106)
- Nut drivers 5.0mm (TKR1107, 5.5mm (TKR1108), 7.0mm (TKR1109)
- Hobby knife
- Needle-nose pliers
- Pivot Ball and Shock Multi-tool (TKR1115) OR adjustable (Crescent) wrench (for shock assembly)
- 17mm wheel wrench (TKR1116)
- 4mm turnbuckle wrench (TKR1103) – 5.5/7.0 two sided wrench (TKR1119)
- 4mm arm reamer (or #19 drill bit)